Skip to Content
Skip to Navigation
Share |
The Graduate School

G-1 Communications Building
Box 353770
Seattle, Washington 98195-3770

Phone: 206.543.5900
Fax: 206.685.3234


At the University of Washington, Academic Student Employees are hired directly by the employing department and are covered by a union contract. For more information about finding a position as well as the responsibilities and benefits, please see the links below.

Not all positions provide a tuition waiver or insurance; check with your department’s hiring official to confirm length of employment, salary, and benefits. The union contract provides details about appointments, job definitions, leave time, etc.

There are three types of assistantships:

  • Teaching Assistant: work with students in a classroom, lab, or quiz section setting
  • Research Assistant: work on research projects; does not involve teaching
  • Staff Assistant: other types of duties such as, advising or administration

International Students: International students are required to meet University requirements regarding English proficiency (both written and spoken) before being eligible to work with students. For more information, please see Graduate School Memorandum 15. If you have questions, please contact your department’s hiring official.

Important Links

Finding a Position

If you are interested in a TA/RA/SA position, contact the department in which you are interested in working directly for more information. Every department runs its own hiring process and can let you know what they require to be considered for such positions.

Many departments on campus hire through their own student populations. Other departments - particularly those that don't have graduate students or administrative units that hire graduate students - will recruit widely for positions from relevant degree programs across campus. You may hear of positions via email forwarded you from your department. Check the UW Employment site: for TA/RA/SA positions (look under category: “Academic Student Employee”).

The Graduate Funding Information Service — located in the Research Commons, Allen Library, South Wing — is another resource. The website has a link to its blog for both UW and outside funding.